Wednesday 25 January 2012

'imagine the impossibilities' challenge

Last Friday was a bad day.
I had put up a couple of shelves in the days leading up to Friday, in the lounge. The second of which I did completely on my own, and I actually thought 'this isn't too bad'.
Friday came - the day to start my challenge in earnest !
I had taken away the books from one side, and pulled the bookcase out the night before.
I marked out the first 5 shelves with a level, and marked 6 holes on each line - 30 holes in all.


We also found out that there was a bit of skirting missing. That will have to be addressed later on !

I got out the HAMMER DRILL.
The one with the hammer action that needs a bit of handling, holding tight, holding straight, pushing with all one's might into the wall !!!

30 holes I thought - piece of cake (silly old me).
First 10 holes, easy peasy, went like a dream.
But the next 20 HOLES would't drill. I only managed to sink the next 20 holes about 1 inch. I need each one to be 3 inches deep.

After repeatedly trying, I did what all good defeatists do - I went and sat on the sofa with a cup of Earl Grey feeling very despondent !
But the same thing kept ringing in my ears -
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION
 
 
I went back a few times, but I still couldn't get the holes any deeper.

I contacted the old geezer (he was out - probably a wise time to leave me on my own).
'It could be the drill bit' he said.

Oh, my despair was gone 'of course it's not me and my puney strength, it's the TOOLS !!!
New words were ringing in my ears -
A BAD WORKMAN ALWAYS BLAMES HIS TOOLS
A BAD WORKMAN ALWAYS BLAMES HIS TOOLS
A BAD WORKMAN ALWAYS BLAMES HIS TOOLS

After a new drill bit, I did manage to sink ALL the holes. The drill had a mind of it's own and made this hole too large (or was that me, unable to hold it steady ?)



Anyway, 30 holes later, 30 screws with rawl plugs, 30 notches bashed out of 5 pieces of solid wood, one layer of white paint, and a bit of caulk, and I am nearly there.





Tomorrow, I will fill the holes and paint a second layer of white, then it's onto the other side.
Hopefully I will make it by the 31st January !!!!!!!!


20 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! Not only did you get the noisy stuff done before your neighbors sleepy time, you didn't give up. Way to go Fio!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! Not only did you get the noisy stuff done before your neighbors sleepy time, you didn't give up. Way to go Fio!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful job! it's very impressive that you were able to do this all by yourself--i wouldn't have been able to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiona - you are doing amazingly well! I haven't even started - YIKES! I always was a last minute, pressure-prompted student so I guess I still am!
    Peggy
    p.s. the shelves look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it!!! I have a big painting project to do to. We'll cheer each other on...

    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Come on you can do it! We are both going to make it by the 31st...I'm right here with ya and I'm determined! It is coming along!!! (And I think it was the tools too.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You go girl! That's a heck of a big job to tackle. I'm sure you will get finished by the end of the month, because you don't accept failure as an option! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is bloody marvelous stuff! So Australian in attitude and perfect for Australia Day! Well done! And, it LOOKS fabulous! Oh and yes a bad 'WORKMAN' always blames his tools! It's our surname and we couldn't agree more! LOL!
    x KL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Fiona - Im loving your Blog!
    You've been awarded!!!
    http://northshoredays.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweet-bloggy-friends-liebster-award.html

    Hope you're having a great week!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great progress! I say it's ALWAYS the tools. :) They look great so far, definitely worth all of the frustration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awwwww, sweetpea! Sounds like a rough day! I'm glad you didn't give up though! When this is all done, you're going to look back on it and know that it's all the more special because you faced such adversity to get it done. :) Soon, you'll be sitting back with that Early Grey, content in knowing that your wonderful new shelves are up and looking beautiful with all their books and nicknacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fiona - Im loving your blog and I have awarded you
    http://northshoredays.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweet-bloggy-friends-liebster-award.html

    Take care Nat xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great! You did a lot of work there. The shelves look great so far, can't wait to see how you dress them up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. your holes look like mine! :) good luck with the challenge. can't wait till the reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm cheering for you - I know you can finish in time for our big link party!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you, you made it through! Your shelves look great, very sleek and clean. And now you know more about drilling than you knew before. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like the hardest part is over. You're almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These shelves are going to look so great! I can't wait to see your reveal in the challenge. I'll be there too with a (hopefully) finished sectional slipcover. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !