Friday 7 September 2012

radiator curtains (as opposed to cabinets)





Last December, my living-room looked like this. 


Then for a while it looked like this, after I stencilled the walls.


As a trial for my Impossibilities Challenge, I put up two floating shelves, one on each side.


In May, the old geezer finally put up the other two shelves over the radiators for me. 
(We don't like to hurry things around here !)

I had visions of building radiator cabinets underneath the shelves,
but the wood has warped, so we are going to see what happens when we
put the rads on, in the winter.

For now I have made burlap curtains !


They are a bit more see-through than I would have liked, but I could line them I guess.
I am not quite sure why I can't take a straight photo, I rarely drink alcohol. 
I think my house is wonky !


With stuff on the mantle as well, it's looking rather overcrowded in the photos, but 
sitting here, it all looks lovely to me. A minimalist I am not.


I finally have the perfect place for my lightbulb light. The cord tucks down the back.
I haven't caulked the shelves in case they do warp.


I rescued the basket from the garden.


Driftwood from the beach.


I really liked my beachy mantle, so when I removed it, I put some things under this large cloche.




I still have a beast of a tv (it's looking hopeful, that we may soon get a replacement)
and
I love the fact that in the next holiday season, I now have loads of places to display
 more shit stuff.


linking up with
Tuesdays Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm
Cowgirl Up @ The Farmhouse Porch
Knick of Time Tuesdays @ Knick of Time
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
Primp Your Stuff Wednesdays @ {Primp}
All Star Block Party @ Full Circle Creations
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Pot Pourri Friday @ 2805
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest

Sunday's Best @ My 1929 Charmer
Sunday Showcase Party @ Under The Table and Dreaming
 
 






22 comments:

  1. It looks like your shelves were always there, like built-ins! Very nice. The bench shelves over our radiators are made of plywood and they don't warp from the heat. On the other hand we bought a pricey craftsman style rad cover that warped the first time it was exposed to the extreme heat. We have live steam running through ours, so they get hot enough to cook on!

    It's always good to have more space to store Christmas.....stuff. :@

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, I already loved the stencilled walls and shelves! The lightbulb lamp is another fave. The burlap rad covers and accessories make this pretty much a perfect space in my world! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wow! I love your shelves and don't think it looks at all too crowded. I'm not a minimalist either. I'm a new follower. Came over from Shabby Story. I'd love if you visited me. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fiona, Its looking awesome. Good job. I like lots of decorations too :-). My husband doesnt care for all of my knick-knacks, but thats ok. The curtains came out so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like everything you've added to the room Fiona. It's like the room was awakened! Each part you did added personality. Great work! Looking forward to your holiday decor to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the burlap but I think I would like a cabinet equally as well. And I love the lightbulb lamp so I'm gonna pin it to remind me I too can have one among all the "stuff".

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love all your fun 'stuff'! The branches, the burlap, the numbers, the lights in the vase...it all looks great! (I say the more stuff, the better :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea, love this look. CJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fiona, you did a lovely job. I like your radiator curtains and especially your collection of drift wood. Everything blends in beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those shelves really finish out the wall! Maybe you could make radiator screens (like folding fireplace screens or something) Can you leave the fabric up during winter?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your shelves. They don't seem overcrowded to me. You have to have a place for all your lovely items!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea - turned out just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like this look, Fiona! I love the curtains over doors. I don't think it looks see through in the pictures. The stencil you did on the walls looks great, too. I love the built-in look you have now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The curtains make is look so much cozier! Love it! Great addition....

    hugs ~ Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Radiator curtains is such a nice idea ! The cabinets ( if one must purchase them ) are quite expensive. I have steam heat radiators in my house and while I would like the cabinets they are a bit costly. What you did is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Debra, I would love to reply but you have no-reply blogger on. You need to go into your profile and turn it off.
      Thanks Fiona

      Delete
  16. I really like your idea of the shelf and burlap skirt to cover your radiators. Very attractive!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Fiona, What a pretty solution for covering the radiator. I am in love with your stencil too! Thanks for linking to the Open House party and I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely idea ! It looks cosy and Beautiful !
    Have a nice weekend.
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  19. I live in a pre-war building in NYC. It never occurred to me that I could hang a curtain in front of the radiator in my bedroom. I guess I always thought it just might burst into flames. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  20. The stencil, the curtains, the shelving, it all looks very non-minimalist magnificent!!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !