Monday 16 September 2013

my new cabinet



I really felt that my new cabinet needed something large on it, like a lamp.


I also envisaged a narrow shelf above it, the sort I've seen on other blogs. I was sure TKMaxx would have what I was looking for, so when my BFF visited recently we went to Homesense in Chichester. I found the perfect shelf almost immediately for £5.99.

 
And painted it white, distressed it and hung it up the same day !
 
 
The only large lamp was £250.00 and even if I could have afforded it I wouldn't have bought it, so I kept hunting round.
 
When you go with your bff who has different taste to you, you have to make sure you don't get swayed. Dear Pandy kept pointing out loads of things (that I'm so glad I didn't bring home), but I spied something large, something that I knew would work, and something I was so pleased I brought home with me, coz I love it.
 
 
A bottle drier/hanger thingamajig. I'm guessing that it's not authentic, but it sure looks old and industrial to me and fits in perfectly and it was only £16.99.
 
I just put a couple of jugs, mugs and cups on it, it seems to look better not over filled.

 
It's turned into a bit of a buffet I guess. There's a wooden tray with old tablecloths, some napkins and an empty cheese dome (I will find something to go in it eventually). The basket is filled with natural stuff, shells, sea weed and pine cones. The little pansy print I found recently for £2, I just love the colour, though it hasn't photographed well.
 
 
 
 
I shopped my house for other pieces, my faux bonsai and my favourite tea light holders now have pride of place on the shelf. The oval plate belonged to my mother, the Christmas turkey was always served on it. It's funny how I always thought it was huge as a child, now it seems quite small.

 
I feel like I need something bigger on the wall, but the idea I have means adding something else to my ever expanding 'to do' list, so for now it'll stay as it is.

 
I'm so pleased I bought this cabinet, it really seems to suit my little house.
 
 
And what's even better, I have more storage. One can never have enough places to put 'stuff' !
 
Linking up with
Make it pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House
Tuesdays Treasures @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm
Knick of Time Tuesdays @ Knick of Time
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life
The Scoop @ The Farmhouse Porch
Wow Us Wednesdays @ Savvy Southern Style
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Treasure Hunt Thursday @ From My Front Porch To Yours
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here
Inspire Me Link Party @ Liz Marie Blog
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Be Inspired @ Common Ground
Shabbilicious Friday link party @ Shabby Art Boutique
Silver Pennies Sundays Link Party @ Silver Pennies
 

25 comments:

  1. I love the vignette you created on that cabinet and the shelf is perfect! Great job. I have wanted one of those bottle holder things forever! So glad you found yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your old cabinet! You've accessorized it perfectly with the shelf and all your goodies. And your interior doors! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! And I really like that bottle dryer hanger thingie. I've been looking for one, but I'm cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful cabinet Fiona! It looks fabulous with all of your pieces surrounding it. The addition of the shelf was brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fabulous, perfect, cute, nice vignette, that cabinet's got it all going on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to what everyone else has said. It's all absolutely perfect and looks like it's been evolving over time! How nice to see our old friend the bonsai so nicely displayed. Pinning

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cabinet is beautiful and the bottle dryer hanger thingie is just perfect to add height.

    Do you have any spondoolies left?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your cup thingy, and the shelf really looks great, too! have a great week, fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love the cabinet and love how you've styled it. It is perfect there and so is all your "stuff". So pretty! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully styled. Love the drying rack!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still adore that cabinet...it looks great with whatever you put on it. Now..i have to tell you, I keep looking at your bottle-drier/hangy thingamagig and I'm thinking it would make a seriously kick-a$$ chandelier girl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I absolutely love the cabinet and the vignette you've created above it. Gorgeous. Love the bottle dryer, is is perfect and the shelf and plates are a fabulous idea. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has become such a cute spot. I love the cabinet and bottle-hanger what-ever-it's-called is perfect, I love the blue and white creamers and cups on it. Sometimes the perfect piece is not what we had first in mind. I have the same cheese dome you have on my kitchen window sill and I stuff it with marshmallows every time my best friend visits!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your little cabinet looks great! You did a great job making it just perfect!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is beautiful. I love what you have done with it. I also love your little Denmark creamer. I have the same pattern.
    So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fiona,

    You have done such an amazing job of hunting and gathering, styling and photographing, all your exquisite talent - I am in awe! I don't think I would EVER grow tired of touring your sweet and charming home. I appreciate your patience in finding just the right plate, lamp or dish; it's worth it in the end, isn't it? Your cup collection is adorable! Would love to see the kitchen in the background, too. Have you posted pics of it?

    Happy weekend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cabinet is beautiful and I love the vignette you've created. So warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like the shopping spree went out really well!
    I love the new things, and I love the lay out you´ve done!
    You have wonderful taste Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is FABULOUS..I love everything you've done here. You have great talent for this kind of thing.
    I am now following you by bloglovin'
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fiona, you scored big on that cabinet, it's gorgeous! Everything looks so good, I love the way you painted the shelf, I love the whole vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, love this gorgeous post! The cabinet and the details that you added are just perfect. The eclectic mix of elements are just what I love. Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw your cabinet was featured at Confessions of a Plate Addict. Congratulations! It's well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely wonderful!!! Your cabinet has the perfect amount of eye candy - everything looks great. I have such a difficult time arranging items in a pleasing manner, but you made it all appear so simple and with fabulous results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! Great cabinet. Everything is shaping up wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete

It's always a pleasure to receive your comments. I really enjoy reading them, and a huge thank you if you are following as well !